October 1, 2014 | Recipes & Pairings | Sextant Wines
Warm Roasted Root Vegetable Salad
Pairs with 2012 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 large parsnips
- 1 large sweet Maui onion
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 6 medium purple beets
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup bottled olive oil-and-vinegar dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (or wasabi for Asian flare)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fresh arugula
- (Add roasted Chicken for protein)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Peel sweet potatoes, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Peel parsnips, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Slice Maui onion into thick chunks, Peel Fennel, and slice into desired strips. Peel beets, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges.
- Toss sweet potatoes, parsnips, onion, fennel and mince garlic with 4 Tbsp. olive oil in a large bowl; Sprinkle with 1 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Place in a single layer in a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Toss beets with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil; arrange beets in a single layer on a separate aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender with a slight caramelized crisp. Let slightly cool (about 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing and next 3 ingredients. Place vegetables in a large bowl, and drizzle with desired amount of dressing; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled over arugula with any remaining dressing. Cheers!