October 12, 2011 | Recipes & Pairings | Sextant Wines
- 8 tomatoes
- 4 balls fresh mozzarella cheese, about 3/4 lb.total
- 32 fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar glaze for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatoes, stem side down, on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, make 4 evenly spaced slits crosswise in each tomato, stopping about 1/2 inch from the bottom.
- Cut the mozzarella into 32 thin, uniform slices. Working with 1 tomato at a time, insert 1 mozzarella slice and 1 basil leaf into each slit.
- When ready to serve, place the prepared tomatoes on a platter. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic glaze and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 8.
10 Knots Beachcomber – Viognier
10 Knots Grenache Rose